Friday, March 27, 2015

Hanging out...


It's a breezy day in the country today -- let's say stoutly breezy.  In fact, downright Windy!  I needed to wash work clothes and kitchen laundry, and since there's sunshine and a "breeze," I'm all about hanging out.  I've always been one of those lazy renegade clothesline people who leaves her pins on the line to weather and wear, but after this winter, I'm going back to the clothespin bag.  I found that the old pins were leaving greasy, black marks on my clothes.  Pooh!

I made myself a simple clothespin bag out of one of the legs of my old favorite jeans.  I found the good tutorial at Gwenny Penny and did everything she did except instead of the cute pocket, I added a well-worn and well-loved embroidery from an old dish towel that my daughter embroidered when she was a little girl.  I had been saving that dish towel and using it for years, and today it got a new purpose --  a decoration for my clothespin bag and a sweet reminder of those 5 li'l chicks of mine who were the best helpers ever!  They were known to help hang out the laundry or take it off the line when a dusty wind was coming or when rain clouds were looming.

This isn't much of a pretty little sack, but it's a worker and it's practical.  I added a little clip to the belt loops so I can slide it down the lines as I pin the laundry, or I can clip it securely closed and hang it on one end of the clothesline when we have a stout breeze like today so the pins won't spill out. 

Are you a line dryer or a tumble dryer?  Or both?  Tell me your tips and tricks.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome, I love it. Your header is gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like the clothes line! I need new pegs and maybe I should make a cute peg bag like yours! Don't blow away, Mary Poppins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it is really darling and so practical! I need one. I love to line dry. My hubby installed a 5 line extension clothes line from the house. I can get four loads on it! We are super windy, too, so I add extra pins to the sheets...in the middle...so the wind doesn't blow them off :)

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to hang out my washing whenever I can as I don't have a tumble dryer. It was particularly satisfying to see the clothes dry so quickly when we were in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great little clothes pin bag and I hang clothes on the line all year long. they've been known to freeze on the line but it makes for a great photo so I don't mind. I use the dryer when forced to...absolutely HATE the dryer, the expense and the wear and tear on clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's adorable Jody! I laughed at your line about being renegade -- I guess my mom's a renegade too. I love to take pictures at her clothesline -- we live in one of those obnoxious neighborhoods where we're not allowed to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your bag. What a good idea. I used to have a clothesline and hung all of the laundry outside. Then we moved here. I use the dryer more than the line, but my swimming pool fence is what I hang clothes on now. :) It is the best thing for sheets and blankets. In the summer that is all I use. I just never put one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm lazy about hanging out laundry in the winter (and it's been so rainy and snowy here this winter, there's not much point to it). I'm looking forward to warmer days so we can use the sun's energy and the not the dryer's!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the clothespin bag. I'm of the hang it out to dry variety as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the bag. I think I will be making one. Like the way it attaches to the line. Have the perfect pr of jeans to cut. Nothing fancy...Hubs old jeans will do. Thanks, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! My teenage son wears through his jeans in a hurry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I long to have a clothesline again. Right now I'm in a rental and must use a machine. I love your darling bag! I love that you used the embroidery - that's sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good idea for using the embroidery - I have a "boughten" clothespin bag that is pretty flimsy, so maybe I will make myself a homier one. Hanging clothes on the line makes me so happy, I long for the days when there is enough sun and/or breeze to actually dry them. On the other days, I LOVE my clothes dryer, too! Basically, I love doing laundry, as long as I don't have to have my bare hands in the suds.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...