Friday, December 12, 2014

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies...


This cookie passed my New Christmas Cookie Try-outs.   Generally, I don't veer far off our traditional Christmas Cookies Trail, but when I saw this recipe, I had to put it to the test.  We had a few guests at our house today, and the cookies were gobbled up alongside mugs of hot coffee.  Delicious!  Definitely a do-again.  They're so good that they wouldn't have to be  a Just for Christmas Cookie.   The original recipe can be found on Simply Recipes.  I made a couple little change-a-roos from the original.

Chocolate Crinkles  

(my version)

  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder (opt. - I used it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup good chocolate chips

1 In a bowl beat together the cocoa powder, white sugar, and butter until it comes together into a shiny, gritty, black dough of sorts.
2 Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for 30 seconds each. Add the vanilla and beat in thoroughly.
3 In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder if using. Mix into the chocolate mixture on low speed until just combined. Do not overbeat. Fold in chocolate chips.  Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill the dough for four hours or overnight.
4 Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioner's sugar in a wide bowl. Using a rounded teaspoon get clumps of the chilled dough and roll them into 1-inch sized balls using your hands. Roll the balls in the powdered  sugar and place on the cookie sheets (you should be able to get 12-16 on each sheet). Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or two on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 50 cookies.

These cookies would be wonderful served with an ice cream sundae.  They almost have a brownie texture and taste.

TIP:  Wear a bib when eating to prevent powdered sugar from dusting your shirt unless you can pop a whole cookie in your mouth at once!

7 comments:

  1. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful. I may have to give it a try this weekend. I can't remember if I said how much I liked your card. Thanks. Glad I'm not the only person that spent quality time chasing Salers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! I have all the ingredients so I'll have to try them! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They looks just yummy. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will and I were just talking tonight about how we need to making some chocolate crinkle cookies for Christmas. The recipe I use is very similar to yours and the results are lovely!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always like your change-a-roos, so I'll use your recipe, Jody :) I've found in the past that chocolate recipes that begin with unsweetened cocoa are generally very good in flavor. They look fabulous! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very chocolatey! I am making some that look similar, but have a lot of almond paste....These are worth trying for a more everyday sort of cookie, the almond paste being special for Christmas around here :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...