Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Feminine Appeal....


Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
by Carolyn Mahaney

I've been taking my time, reading a really wonderful book that I hereby officially highly recommend to all of you women and to those young women whom you know and love. I was first introduced to Carolyn Mahaney via a CD set that a dear friend, Joyce loaned me. From there, I picked up this book. Carolyn Mahaney is wife of 25+ years to pastor C.J. Mahaney of Sovereign Grace Ministries. Let me share with you an excerpt that has really drawn my attention and my prayers.
Are you in love with your husband? Not, Do you love him? I know you do. He has
been around for a long time, and you're used to him. He is the father of
your chilren. But are you in love with him? How long has it been since your
heart really squeezed when you looked at him?....Why is it you have
forgotten the things that attracted you to him at first?.....Your husband
needs to be told that you love him, that he is attractive to you. By the
grace of God, I want you to start changing your thought pattern. Tomorrow
morning, get your eyes off the toaster or the baby bottles long enough to
LOOK at him. Don't you see the way his coat fits his shoulders? Look at his
hands. Do you remember when just to look at his strong hands made your heart
lift? Well, LOOK at him and remember. Then loose your tongue and tell him
you love him. Will you ask the Lord to give you a sentimental, romantic,
physical, in-love kind of love for your husband? He will do this.
~This quote is actually from Shirley Rice, but it is nearly a whole page worth in this book.

Chapter titles are:
  1. Transformed by Titus 2

  2. The Delight of Loving My Husband

  3. The Blessing of Loving My Children

  4. The Safety of Self-Control

  5. The Pleasure of Purity

  6. The Honor of Working at Home

  7. The Rewards of Kinidness

  8. The Beauty of Submission

  9. Margaret's Story

Feminine Appeal has been a good "coffee break" book for me. Just a little bit every afternoon. I also recommend Carolyn's blog, Girl Talk. She team blogs with her daughters and together, they really know how to uplift a girl like me. I know you'll be refreshed too!

"Isn't it telling that our culture requires training and certification for so many vocations of lesser importance but hands us marriage and motherhood without instruction?"

~Carolyn Mahaney

1 comment:

  1. It's been a couple of years since I read this book, but I remember saying "yes" outloud several times throughout.

    I'm raising my hand and saying, YES, I am IN LOVE with my husband, but I have to say that I agree with the author that keeping that attitude starts in your MIND...with a decision to BE IN LOVE and to keep before you all the reasons you married him in the first place.

    I second your recommendation...like you needed MY support on the matter! Ha!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...